English teachers prepare and educate students for the world. English teachers teach grammar, reading comprehension, writing, and understanding of books and other writings.
- English teachers create lesson plans and teach those plans to the entire class, individually to students or in small groups;
- Track student progress and present the information to parents;
- Create tests, create and reinforce classroom rules;
- Work with school administration;
- Prepare students for standardized tests.
Qualifications and Skills
- NCE/B.Sc/B.Ed in English Language
- Communication Skills: You must be able to speak clearly to students, other teachers, parents and administration officials.
- Instruction Skills: You will have to explain new ideas and unfamiliar concepts with authority and in a clear and concise way so that students can understand. You must work to keep the students' attention
- Writing Skills: Teachers write progress reports, notes home, and in the case of post-secondary teachers, publish research. Writing skills are critical.
- Patience: The students you work with will have different backgrounds and abilities. Patience will help teachers deal with students who act out or have trouble following the material.
- Creativity: Teachers have to find ways to involve students into their lessons. Additionally, teachers may have to work with different learning styles to get the most out of each student.
- People Skills: Engaging parents and creating healthy relationships with students and faculty will help create a quality learning environment.
- Applicants must have a bachelor's degree in English education, Linguistic or any related field.